Inspired by all things summery and this wonderfully zesty flavour, food blogger Georgina (theglutenfreesloth) created this delicious and gluten free recipe for Lemon Curd filled cupcakes with our Lemon Sherbet popcorn. Creating food that is gluten free and super yummy is a passion for Georgia and we just love what she does! Here is her amazing recipe below, but make sure you check out the other funky foods she comes up with on her Instagram feed as well!
Lemon curd filled cupcakes using Portlebay Lemon Sherbet flavour popcorn.
Recipe by Georgina Joiner
Makes 8 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
110g Caster sugar
110g Gluten free self-raising flour
1tsp Xanthan Gum
2 Medium Eggs
1tsp Vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
For the buttercream:
240g Icing Sugar (plus some extra)
Juice of 1 lemon
Yellow food colouring
1 pack Portlebay Lemon Sherbet flavour popcorn
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c.
2. Place cupcake cases in a cupcake/muffin tray.
3. Beat the margarine until it’s soft and fluffy.
4. Slowly add in the caster sugar and beat until well combined.
5. One by one, mix in the eggs.
6. Add in the vanilla extract and the lemon zest.
7. Sift in the flour and mix in the xanthan gum, until you have a smooth cupcake batter.
8. Using a spoon, scoop the batter into your cupcake cases, 3/4 of the way.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes. You will know they are baked when a skewer inserted into them comes out clean, or if you gently press on the top, they spring back.
10. Leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
11. Once the cakes are cooled, use a icing nozzle to remove the centres of the cupcakes. Press it half way down, twist, until you have a small hole in the centre of the cupcake. Discard the small pieces of cake you’ve removed with the nozzle.
12. Spoon the lemon curd into the holes in the cupcakes.
13. For the buttercream icing, beat your margarine until fluffy.
14. Mix in the icing sugar bit by bit, until a thick cream forms.
15. Add in the lemon juice, and yellow food colouring and mix thoroughly. The lemon juice may make the buttercream a little thinner, so feel free to add in some extra icing sugar until the consistency is thick enough to pipe.
16. Transfer the buttercream icing to a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle.
17. Pipe the buttercream in swirls on the top of the cupcakes, and finish them off by placing handfuls of the Lemon Sherbet popcorn onto the top of them.
18. Serve and Enjoy!